Introduction and aim
Martinspeed Ltd is a medium sized fine art services business, operating from sites in London. Our main products are secure storage along with providing art services including the movement and installation of works of art. We recognise that our operations result in emissions to air and the generation of waste. It is our aim to comply with legislation and other requirements, continue to reduce the environmental impacts of our business and operate in an environmentally responsible manner. This policy describes how we will achieve our aim.
This environmental policy applies to all of our operations including management, operational services and technical services.
The board of Directors are responsible for ensuring that the policy is implemented. However, all employees have a responsibility in their area to ensure that the aims and objectives of the policy are met.
We will ensure that resources are available to enable us to achieve our objectives and targets.
- To reduce the general/packing waste and pollution generated by our commercial activities
- To actively promote re-cycling or re-use of materials whether generated by our business or our customers
- To ensure the disposal of unusable waste is safe and minimise any long term environmental impact
- To conserve resources across our operations
- To maintain our buildings to minimise their impact on the local environment
- To work closely with our suppliers and contractors to share our goals and minimise the impact of the environment of our shared operations
- To reduce energy and water use by adopting best practicable conservation technology
- To raise awareness of environmental concerns with our staff and encourage their ongoing involvement in our environmental improvements
- To implement an intensive driver training programme aimed at more economical driving that delivers a 10% reduction in fuel usage.
Solar panelling at Hayes Warehouse
To achieve our aims, we have set ourselves the following targets:
- Continue with our fleet upgrade programme
- Evaluate the costs and benefits of investing in a compactor or chipper in order to recycle crates which are currently a waste product into a useful product
- Improve staff awareness of ways in which we can increase our energy efficiency. Switching off lights and heating when not needed, are examples of possible savings.
Monitoring and auditing
Create links with the Carbon Trust and Thames Renewables so that we can monitor our progress and further develop our environmental awareness.
Progress against these objectives will be monitored through monthly management meetings.